Thursday, January 22, 2009

"Lie to Me" anytime (ok I've only seen one episode, but it's a catchy title for a blog post, right?)

I watched the premiere of Fox's "Lie to Me" last night and really enjoyed it. In a schedule filled with quirky cop shows, this one was pretty good.

The twist on this one? The main character, played by Tim Roth, is an expert at telling when people are lying. He uses body language, facial tics, microexpressions and a host of other tricks to tell when someone is fibbing because they're scared, excited, happy, etc. He then uses the info to figure out motives for the lie as well. Its a fun gimmick, but I'm wondering how fast it will wear thin. How many times can we watch him say someone's eyebrow went up, so he must be lying? We'll see.

What I enjoyed most about the show was Roth. I generally enjoy his work, but he's very fun to watch in this one. I first became aware of Roth nearly twenty years ago in the wonderful film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead".


It's still one of my favorite films after all these years and Roth is still fun to watch.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Tim Roth is wonderful in any role, even playing a damn dirty ape. I first saw him in Vincent and Theo - he plays Van Gogh. I don't have high hopes for Lie to Me. Good premise, but I think it will get tired after a while. In any event, the guy will always have work.

Arkonbey said...

Don't forget, Roth also got beat up by the Incredible Hulk!

Spin the Moon said...

Arkonbey - Yeah he got whupped good. That was pretty ugly!